12.12.2008

Anticipation vs. Distraction

I have noticed a growing sense of anticipation in me lately. It's an anticipation of life-change. I love changed lives! It's why I do what I do. There's nothing like seeing God get a hold of someone's life, transform it, and use it in ways that person never knew they were capable of.

I have to admit, this sense of anticipation, or heart for those without Christ, is something that is not always as strong as it needs to be. I feel very much in tune with God, when my mind is obsessed with reaching lost souls. But there are seasons when I'm focused more on the mechanics of church instead of the mission of church. It's a constant battle. And honestly, I think it's one of Satan's biggest weapons against church leaders. If he can get us focused on the minutia and the "urgent" things, rather that the truly important things, he dupes us into believing we're "about our Father's business."

Satan doesn't have to turn us into evil sinners. He only needs to turn us into Martha's. Distracting us does just as much damage to the Kingdom as major moral failure.

Luke 10:38-42 (ESV)
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named  Martha  welcomed him into her house.  And she had a sister called  Mary, who  sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching.  But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.”  But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are  anxious and troubled about many things,  but one thing is necessary.  Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

No comments: