1.01.2009

New Year's Survey

I saw this survey on Marko's blog and thought I would participate, too.


1) What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
--Took a position as Lead Pastor of a church.
--Worked totally from home.
--Started home-schooling our kids.

2) Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make new ones?
--I didn't make any resolutions.

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?
--My brother's wife had twin girls.

4) Did anyone close to you die?
--No family, but a valued friend - Cynthia Fry.

5) What countries did you visit?
--None this year.

6) What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
--Greater focus.
--More patience with my family.

7) What dates from 2008 will remain etched in your memory and why?
--March 2 - My first Sunday at Living Hope Church.
--November 4 - Our nation elects its first African-American president.

8) What was your biggest achievement of last year?
--Made a disaster-filled move from MO to CA without losing my temper.

9) Did you suffer illness or injury?
--Found out I'm diabetic.

10) What was the best thing you bought?
--My MacBook.

11) Whose behavior merited celebration?
--My daughter, Mollie, has given endless support and help with taking care of little Isla. She always has the BEST attitude about it.
--My son, Isaiah, reached the double-digits in age this year and as Jamie says, he's still our little cuddle-bug. Isaiah has an endless supply of hugs for dear ol' Dad.
--Jamie has made incredible contributions to the church this year, taken on part-time work, started home-schooling the kids, and still finds time to take darn good care of me. She's the real-life Wonder Woman!
--My friend Katy Fry has held her head high and clung to her faith under the incredible pressure of having lost her mother this year. She's my 2008 hero!

12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
--Nancy Grace. If there's a more annoying woman on the planet, I haven't met her.
--Oprah for her shameless promotion of what is nothing short of a new age cult.

13) Where did most of your money go?
--Rent. Welcome back to California.

14) What did you get really, really excited about?
--The opportunity to preach weekly.
--Leading leaders.
--Changed lives.

15) What song will always remind you 2008?
--Chris Tomlin's God of This City. It became the soundtrack for the process of me becoming passionate about reaching Dixon.

16) Compared to this time last year are you...
--wiser? I believe so.
--healthier? A little. I've lost 12 lbs. this year and started exercising again.
--richer? No, but more comfortable.

17) What do you wish you'd done more of?
--Exercise, Loved on my kids

18) What do you wish you'd done less of?
--Eat meals at midnight, yell

19) How did you spend Christmas?
--With family and friends.

20) Did you fall in love in 2008?
--Every day. I came to appreciate what Jamie adds to my life so much this year.

21) What was your favorite blog post you wrote?

22) What were you favorite TV programs?
--Already posted that here.

23) Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate last year?
--No.

24) What was the best book you read?
--Already posted that here.

25) What was your greatest musical discovery?
--Hillsong United, Ray LaMontagne, Straight No Chaser

26) What did you want and get?
--A great church, MacBook, Logos Bible Software, a better family car, a new puppy

27) What did you want and not get?
--iPhone

28) What was your favorite film this year?
--Already posted that here.

29) What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
--I turned 36 and spent the day with my family at the Cerrito Theatre and Zachary's Pizza. Awesome!

30) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
--Obama AND McCain
--Gordon Ramsay
--Rick Warren
--Both American Idol Davids
--William Shatner

31) How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
--Casual pastor or Formal bum

32) What kept you sane?
--Jamie tried.

33) What did you miss?
--I miss working with Joe Wilson.

34) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
--Never assume there's not a man-eating pit bull in the youth group bathroom.

35) What did you gain this year?
--A great church family.
--A bit of financial stability.
--A cool Dixon Rams Team Chaplain jacket.

36) What did you lose this year?
--The remote control about 500 times.

37) Who was the best new person you met?
--Pretty much everyone in my life was new this year. Too many to count.

38) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
--Goin' back to Cali...Cali...Cali...


No comments: