1.24.2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I've got Oscar fever! I always get Oscar fever this time of year. For whatever reason, watching the Oscars was always kind of a big deal when I was growing up. I've always enjoyed it. I'm loving this Oscar season because I'm living in an area with theaters that actually show Oscar contenders. (A luxury I missed while living in Lebanon, MO - unless you consider Larry the Cable Guy movies Oscar contenders.) I've seen 3 of the 5 movies nominated for Best Picture so far - Slumdog Millionaire (which I saw last night), Frost/Nixon (which we saw this afternoon), and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. (I still need to see The Reader and Milk.)

Benjamin Button is an interesting movie from an editing and special effects perspective, but pretty dull when it comes to story and acting. I'm really not sure why Brad Pitt is nominated for Best Actor. The effects of aging (and de-aging) Benjamin Button are really incredible, but that's all I got out of it. It was emotionally bland and a little creepy. Wait to rent this one.

No comments: