1.19.2009

The Back of the Napkin

As I was wrapping up 2008, I read a dozen or more "Best of..." lists regarding business and/or leadership books. Dan Roam's book, The Back of the Napkin: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures, was on nearly everyone's Top 10 list so I felt compelled to check it out. Lucky for me, I got a Barnes & Noble gift card from little Miss Isla for Christmas. Thanks, baby girl!

I have mixed feelings about this book. The general idea is to teach us all to present ideas and problem-solve visually by drawing pictures, charts, maps, etc... As a leader and a communicator, it got my gears turning and thinking in some different directions, but I personally felt a big portion of the book was overkill. How to "see" the problem/issue and the section on using your imagination was too boring to me. However, I think that was Roam's intention. He attempted to cover all bases so that the concepts could be learned even by non-creative types.

I found the rest of the book to be extremely engaging and practical. I learned what kind of visuals are suitable for specific types of problems.
  • For a Who/What question, use a "portrait."
  • For a How Much question, use a "chart."
  • For a Where question, use a "map."
  • For a When question, use a "timeline."
  • For a How question, use a "flowchart."
  • For a Why question, use a "multiple-variable plot."
In ministry, there are obvious leadership uses for the concepts in The Back of the Napkin. Assessing congregational needs, planning unveiling a new program, organizational issues, budgeting issues, etc... But what really got my juices flowing was thinking through the preaching implications of Roam's concepts.

I know that when I use visual aids/object lessons in my sermons, I tend to have more "Ah-ha" reactions from the congregation. Many people are strong visual learners. So it got me to thinking of new ways I could share Biblical truths through Roam's doodling techniques. We've all seen this visual explanation of redemption:
What other theological concepts could be explained visually? It's got me thinking (and doodling) in new preaching directions. The Back of the Napkin is worth your time. Check it out.

No comments: