5.21.2008

New Earth...Same Old Crap, Pt. 5

Tolle teaches the following about TRUTH:
  • Beyond the realm of simple and verifiable facts, the certainty that "I am right and you are wrong" is a dangerous thing in personal relationships as well as in interactions between nations, tribes, religions, and so on. -pg. 69
  • All religions are equally false and equally true, depending on how you use them. You can use them in the service of the ego, or you can use them in the service of the Truth. If you believe only your religion is the Truth, you are using it in the service of the ego. Used in such a way, religion becomes ideology and creates an illusory sense of superiority as well as division and conflict between people. -pg. 70-71
  • There is only one absolute Truth, and all other truths emanate from it. ... The Truth is inseparable from who you are. Yes, you are the Truth. If you look for it elsewhere, you will be deceived every time. The very Being that you are is Truth. Jesus tried to convey that when he said, "I am the way and the truth and the life." These words uttered by Jesus are one of the most powerful and direct pointers to the Truth, if understood correctly. If misinterpreted, however, they become a great obstacle. Jesus speaks of the innermost I Am, the essence of identity of every man and woman, every life-form, in fact. He speaks of the life that you are. -pg. 71

Do I really need to point out everything that's wrong with this view of truth? The fact that he would teach that there IS absolute truth and we are each our own absolute truth is mind-numbing! He either doesn't know the meaning of the word absolute or he is choosing to redefine it. I keep thinking of that line from The Princess Bride - "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." (insert heavy Spanish accent.)

Our view of truth at Living Hope Church can be summed up with two statements:

  • The Bible is true...absolutely!
  • The Bible is true whether you choose to believe it or not.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

This is crazy! Do you know how much time it must take to make up this crap? It's like re-creating the wheel and after all the blood, sweat, and tears, it doesn't even work! I'm so extremely burdened for the millions of people who are being led astray by this kind of writing. They're just looking for spirituality and don't know where to find it. What can we as Christians do to put a halt to this earth-changing event Oprah and Tolle has begun? In my heart, I know God can do anything, but from my viewpoint, it seems overwhelming and hopeless. - Jamie

Raffi Shahinian said...

I hear what you're saying, and I agree. The question I want to pose, though, is this: are the words that we use to relay these things getting in our way? Here's something I posted a while back on a different issue but which kind of gets to the heart of what I'm thinking here. I'd love to know what you think.

Grace and Peace,
Raffi
Parables of a Prodigal World

Chelsey said...

Hey Jeff!
Im glad you did a review of this book. My sister bought it for her friend who is very young in her faith. But, we sat down and went over some parts that you pointed out. She decided to get another book. lol
I hope all is going well! We miss you guys!

Melvin_H_Fox said...

The Bible is true...absolutely!
The Bible is true whether you choose to believe it or not.

Amen!

In the love of Christ,

-Mel