4.02.2007

To Kill a Mockingbird

In addition to not talking about church on my vacation, I decided not to read about church either. One of my all-time favorite movies is To Kill a Mockingbird. It truly is a classic. I've found that kids are even mesmorized by this movie. Of course, it's based upon the novel by Harper Lee. I bought this book a couple of years ago and just haven't taken the time to read it. I read it this last week. It might be the best novel I've ever read.

Mockingbird is such a powerful book. It deals with small town Southern life in the 30s and racism and faith and what it means to be a Christian and a lot of other great themes. It's all written from the point of view of a 7 or 8 yr-old girl. It's funny and moving and intense all at once.

It's not uncommon for me to be moved to tears by a movie (especially movies about sports or dogs) but I've only been moved to tears two or three times by a book. I get misty every time Aslan shows up in the Narnia books. I had a little something in my eye reading a Harry Potter book once. I teared up a bit in Brennan Manning's Ragamuffin Gospel. But I was all-out crying/tears running down my face/snotty nose/weeping as I read Mockingbird in the airport the other day. This is one of those books that should be required reading for the human race. Read it if you haven't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may just get to this book after all! All out crying-snotty nose weeping?! I can't wait!