4.08.2007

Easter Wingnut


I just had to share a letter to the editor that showed up in today's Lebanon Daily Record on this beautiful Easter morn. Saturday we held our annual Easter Egg Hunt and it was a tremendous success. The weather was bitter cold (about 20 degrees) but we still had around 600 in attendance. I ran an ad in the paper a few times this week that featured the above cartoon. I chose the cartoon because I thought it was eye-catching and because we have a large population of hunters in Lebanon that I thought would get a kick out of it. Anyway, some wingnut was offended and wrote this letter to the editor. It will hold a place of honor framed on my wall.


True Meaning of Easter Lost in Advertisement for Event

I am writing from a deep sense of indignation and sorrow for this community of Lebanon which I have come to love and to call home. I am referring to the display ad for the "community egg hunt" that appeared in the paper on Monday, April 2.

Please understand: I am not at all opposed to "egg hunts" (which by
implication are Easter egg hunts). They are great fun. What I am
objecting to is the use of a picture of a hunter with a gun, and an egg cowering behind a tree.

Eggs are symbols of new life. For Christians especially, Easter eggs
symbolize the new life given to the world by the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The picture, rather than conveying new life, seems to be a cartoonish
mockery of Jesus in the Garden, being "hunted down" by his betrayer and the soldiers. Is this the image of Easter a "Christian community" wants its children to understand? Is it the image that this community wants to convey to visitors - that Easter is a day to be mocked?

I am appalled and saddened that, even by the implication, a symbol of death would be used to convey what is the greatest symbol of life. Easter is the holiest day of the year for Christians; and even in the "fun" aspects, should be recognized as such.

The Rev. Christine Gilson
Vicar, Trinity Episcopal Church
Lebanon

GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK!

No comments: