2.23.2009

Lent

I've been anticipating Lent for a couple of weeks now. Lent is a religious observance where you fast from something or give up a vice for a period of 40 days leading up to Easter Sunday. Lent begins this Wednesday, 2/25. I'm going to begin my Lent observance on 3/3. (The traditional Lent is actually 46 days long because they don't count the 6 Sundays leading up to Easter. I'll do a true 40 days.)

After a lot of thought I've decided to fast from Facebook and Twitter for 40 days starting March 3rd. Not because, they are evil or anything, but because they are increasingly becoming more addictive to me. I LOVE Facebook and Twitter! I love staying connected to people, reconnecting with old friends, and hearing
 about the lives/insights/opinions of my friends. I think a Facebook/Twitter fast is actually going to be very tough for me! But I'm hoping it will get me better focused on God, my ministry, and my family.

In addition to giving something up for Lent, I'm adding something to my life for Lent. I've decided to step up my Bible reading for 40 days and read through all of the New Testament. I'm really looking forward to that!

I want to challenge all of you (especially my fellow Living Hopers) to participate in Lent this year. What can you add to and subtract from your life that will bring you closer to God in 40 days?

No comments: