4.17.2008

Joshua Judges Ruth

I've been reading through the Old Testament historical books lately. I'm currently reading in 1 Samuel. I finished Judges several day ago and I have to say that it would make for an interesting sermon series. As far as I can tell, it's pretty much a lesson in what NOT to do. It has to be the bloodiest book in the Bible. Seriously, it reads like a Quentin Tarantino script (without all the likable characters). If you don't believe me - give it a quick read. In fact, just read the bit about Samson (ch. 13-16). Samson is one of the great characters we teach our kids about, because he's kind of like He-Man or something. It's a very interesting, sexy story. But read those 4 chapters and tell me one decent, honorable thing that Samson did. HE DIDN'T! Seriously, not ONE! For four chapters you read about how he kills, lies, breaks oathes, commits adultery, etc... In the end when he's been captured and humiliated by the Philistines, he doesn't so much come back to Jesus. He just says, "God give me my strength back and I'll kill all these fools." And the most baffling part is that God is like, "Yeah, OK, that sounds good." Now that I think about it, as an homage to Tarantino, I could do a 2-part sermon series on Samson titled Kill Phil Vol. 1 & Kill Phil Vol. 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ZING!

You need to make sure you have someone at the ready with a drum set when you speak. Then you should remind the congregation to "Please tip your wait staff" and pass the collection plate.

- Josh