5.07.2009

The Furious Longing of God

I've stated before how big a fan of Brennan Manning's books I am. No other author has done more to shape my understanding and appreciation of the grace and love of God. His books have been key in the process of me walking away from the legalism that crippled my faith and spiritual development most of my life. So when a new Brennan Manning book hits the bookstores, I'm generally first in line.

Manning's latest, The Furious Longing of God, is a short but powerful book. He doesn't cover a lot of new ground here (in fact, it almost reads like a 'greatest hits' book) but for me that doesn't take away from the fact that this book is incredible. Reading this book was not only a great reminder of life-changing truths, but it was somewhat therapeutic, too.  Have you ever gone for years and years of only taking showers and then one day decide to soak in a big ol' bubble bath? You're left wondering why did I ever give this up when it feels so great? Same feeling reading this book. I didn't want it to end as quickly as it did.

I thought I'd blog this review in 3 parts and share three different quotes. Here's the first one.

"I have given them the glory you gave to me, that they may be one as we are one. With me in them and you in me, may they be so perfected in unity that the world will recognize that it was you who sent me and that you have loved them as you have loved me." (John 17:22-23 NJB)

While praying over those remarkable words, I came to the inescapable conclusion that the degree of Abba's love for me is in direct proportion to His love for Jesus. For example, I can love the mailman with twenty percent and my best friend with ninety percent. But with God there is no division, no more and no less. God loves me as much as He loves Jesus. Wow! 
(pg. 61-62)

1 comment:

Travis Watkins said...

That sounds like a book that I would really benefit from reading. Thanks for the reviews Jeff.