4.02.2009

Hebrews 11-13 & James

I've always liked Hebrews 11 (the Hall of Fame of Faith). But one paragraph stood out to me this time that doesn't normally.

Hebrews 11:13-16 (ESV)
These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

I feel like this should be my life-verse. Since college, I have felt what this passage describes. That I am longing for my true home. As great as planet Earth is, I don't think it will ever feel like home. My soul honestly cries out to be in God's presence. I know a lot of Christians who are perfectly content here and don't really like thinking about their eternal reward. I'm just not one of them. I can't get there soon enough! Not that I hate my life or where I live or anything like that -- quite the opposite. It's not a about emotion or preferences. It's totally about my soul crying out for HOME! This is why my all-time favorite song is the old hymn "This World is Not My Home".

THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME

This world is not my home; I'm just a passin' through
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore

O Lord, you know I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home, then Lord, what will I do
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore

No comments: