11.07.2007

In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day

I'm reading another great book right now called In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson. In a Pit... is about seizing opportunities and chasing down your fears. Batterson is the pastor of National Community Church in Washington DC and is a tremendous pastor. I recently opened up a dialogue with him via email and he's been a HUGE encouragement to me.

In a Pit... centers around 2 Samuel 23:20-21 which gives an account of Benaiah, one of David's mighty men. Scripture records that Benaiah "went down and struck down a lion in a pit on a day when snow had fallen." Benaiah went on to become the captain of King David's bodyguard and the commander of Armies for King Solomon. The book is a lesson in how God can use our fears and obstacles to prepare us for our life's great successes. It really is a terrific read that I would recommend to everyone. Check out Batterson's blog (http://www.evotional.com/) and his church site (http://www.theaterchurch.com/).

On a side note: I walked into the living room with this book in my hand the other night and my son, Isaiah, asked, "Whatcha reading, Dad?" I replied, "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day." To which Isaiah says, "Dad! Seriously...whatcha reading?"

No comments: