7.21.2007

Harry Potter and the Wobbly Canoe

We had a great day yesterday. I took some teens from the youth group floating down the Niangua River. It was a perfect day for it - not too hot, a little overcast. One of the few perks of being the child of a youth pastor is that occasionally Dad takes you along for teen events that no other kids get to go to. So yesterday I took Mollie and Isaiah along and they had a blast. It was their first float trip. Isaiah was with me and we maneuvered the river like old pros. Mollie, on the other hand, was with a 7th grade girl who had never floated before. They spent most of the day stuck or banging into every rock, tree, stump, or other canoe on the river. But they had a great time - lots of screaming and laughing. It was about 7 miles worth of floating and it took us about 5 hours.

Last night we grilled brauts and played Bohnanza with our friends, Jay & Naomi Burns. It was a good time. Bohnanza is a German-made bean-trading card game that Micah and Becky Derby taught us. Lots of fun and you can purchase it on Amazon.

Then at the crack of midnight, Isaiah and I were standing in line at Wal-Mart to purchase the new Harry Potter book! There were about 200 people in line and they gave out posters, bookmarks, and wristbands. I actually chose to go there because I thought there would be less of a line than at our local bookstore. I was wrong. But I'm glad I went, because the cover price on that hefty book was $35 and Wal-Mart sold it for $18. Wal-Mart - Always Low Prices - Always.

No comments: