11.08.2006

My Party of Choice

Christian people often ask me how I can be a Christian and a Democrat. I am a registered Democrat, but truth be told, I'm probably more of an Independent. I, like many of the newly elected members of Congress, am more of a conservative Democrat. I tend to be conservative on moral issues, but liberal on economic and social issues. However, I never vote "the party line". I vote my conscience and for the candidate/issue that will be best for our country. However, we need to realize that just because a man shares our morals, doesn't mean he will be a wise leader. I have a lot of really great, moral friends. But I don't know that I would vote for any of them for President.

I can't wait when the church doesn't align itself so closely with the Republican Party. There is a huge tendency to read Scripture into issues where Scripture is silent. We should have a higher regard for the Bible than to whore it out to our personal political agendas. The truth is that when measured against the Bible, both parties have issues that the Bible would support and reject. This song by Derek Webb sums it up best for me.

A King and a Kingdom
by Derek Webb

who's your brother, who's your sister
you just walked passed him i think you missed her
as we're all migrating to the place where our father lives
'cause we married in to a family of immigrants

my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it's to a king & a kingdom

there are two great lies that i’ve heard:
“the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die”
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him

but nothing unifies like a common enemy
and we’ve got one, sure as hell
but he may be living in your house
he may be raising up your kids
he may be sleeping with your wife
oh no, he may not look like you think

1 comment:

The E.R. said...

You stated: "The truth is that when measured against the Bible, both parties have issues that the Bible would support and reject."

I agree with the "rejection" position.

Name one (or several if you like) of the issues that the Democratic party supports that the Bible would support.