3.10.2010

Interruptions

Sunday I preached from Mark 5 where Jesus is on his way to heal a little girl close to death and stops to offer life and healing to a woman with a bleeding disease. The main point I focused on was a point I first heard from Rob Morgan of The Donelson Fellowship in Nashville a few years ago -- "Ministry happens in the interruptions of life."

I love that statement and it has stuck with me. It's so true. When I allow my agenda to be flexible, notice people, then I end up doing God's work and not just my own. I know God can work through our agendas too, but divine appointments are rarely scheduled.

Ask yourself these questions:
  • Do I really notice people and listen to them, or do I just use people to accomplish the things I need to do?
  • Am I solely focused on my own agenda, or do I give God enough access to my life to let him set the agenda?
  • Is there time in your week for helping others, or have you maxed out you day so much that you couldn't serve someone even if you wanted to? What does that communicate to your kids?
Give your day and your agenda to God. Be present in the lives of the people you interact with. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you see the people that need your attention, encouragement, and hope.

No comments: