6.02.2009

Zechariah & Malachi

Well, better late than never. Life hit me pretty hard these last several days, so this final Minor Prophets update is coming a little late.

I REALLY enjoyed this Bible study because it forced me to focus on some parts of God's nature that I don't normally focus on. Things like justice, holy anger, fierce love, and his standing invitation of forgiveness no matter how disgusting our behavior. I said it before--it's easy to focus on punishment and judgement when we read these books, but the real story is God's neverending ferocious love for us and willingness to forgive us whenever we come to our senses and turn back to him.

I really like the emphasis on the restoration of God's people in Zechariah. It's a pretty exciting picture of what kind of blessings/rewards God wants to shower on us someday. And Malachi's call back to holiness and faithfulness is always good for me to read. Both of these books are also full of foreshadowing of Jesus' coming.

As far as New Testament references, there are a lot. I'll list them below. Look them up when you get a chance. Thanks for hanging in there through this study. I found it rewarding. I hope you did, too!

Zechariah 3:2 --- Jude 9
8:16 --- Ephesians 4:2
9:9 --- Matthew 21:5; John 12:15
11:13 --- Matthew 27:9
12:10 --- John 19:37; Revelation 1:7
13:7 --- Matthew 26:31; Mark 14:27

Malachi 1:2 --- Romans 9:13
3:1 --- Matthew 11:10; Mark 1:2; Luke 7:27
3:17 --- 1 Peter 2:9
3:23 --- Matthew 17:10; Mark 9:11

No comments: