7.07.2011

Hope in God

I've been studying the Psalms lately and a verse stuck out to me the other day.
Psalm 43:5
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.
I know lots of people who struggle with depression. I'm one of them sometimes. What I've come to know in my own struggles is that it ultimately comes down to a choice. I have to choose to get unstuck. I'm not trying to oversimplify, but the first step is not wanting to be down and then changing your thoughts and actions. The truth is it can take a long time to get there.

This verse just made me think of all the times I've been down and looking for solutions in a hundred different places. Wishing for better finances, a saner family, a thinner waistline, more success, etc... It's a great reminder that we have ONE hope. Focus on him. Focus on your relationship with God, his grace, his gifts, his calling on your life, advancing his Kingdom and caring for his children. Hope in God!

4 comments:

Annmarie said...

Thank you Jeff!!! That really hit home...... I'll see you Sunday!!

Jerry Myers said...

very true. David asked God to pull him out of the miry clay. David had to ask, reach out, take God's hand and hold on for the ride up.

parpar said...

WEll said -- :)

Anonymous said...

Get back to blogging...

Jason