12.02.2010

Contentment (and the blog lives!)

I haven't posted anything to the blog in about 6 months. I needed a break from it, but lately I've been feeling the urge to share again.

Last Sunday I started a new series called AVOIDING THE NIGHTMARE AFTER CHRISTMAS. We're just looking at some sound Biblical financial principles. Last week I talked about contentment. I really do believe that contentment is one of the strongest indicators of spiritual maturity.

Sunday we looked at 4 ways to cultivate contentment in our lives, but now I wanted to bring up a counter-point. Buying stuff is not always wrong! In fact, often, it's necessary or helpful. Here are some questions to ask yourself before you make a purchase:

  1. Do I have the money for this?
  2. Do I only want it because it's shiny and new?
  3. How will this item improve my work/life?
  4. Have I shopped for the best deal or read user reviews?
  5. Is there anything more important I should be spending this money on?
  6. Is this purchase good stewardship of the money God has entrusted to me?
There's nothing wrong with treating yourself once in a while. After all, you work hard for your money. Just remember, that it's called a "treat" because it's something different/special. If you never say no to your shopping urges, it's not a treat -- it's just undisciplined, unwise discontent.

No comments: